Thursday, February 09, 2006

Psych review over..

Went and saw the Psych doc at the hospital yesterday afternoon and he was really goog, I ended up taking my laptop with me and he did take the time to read my blog. He said that it was obvious that I wasnt stupid and that keeping this blog was a good idea and that I should use it as a tool in my ongoing mission to get through BPD.

He also told me that the drug Olanzapine is good for the control of anger short term and that I should carry some with me at all times and if a friend or loved one that knows me says "Hey Mark calm down a bit.." or something similar that I shouldnt argue with them but should take one and go and chill for a while. So when I got home I put some olanzapine wafers in my wallet so that I will have them with me. I seem to carry more prescription drugs in my wallet then money, I also have tablets to stop me from throwing up when my balance is playing up.

He was telling me that some of the BPD episodes may be related to my epilepsy firing in parts of the brain that control emotion etc so it may not just be a psych disorder in me but epilepsy related as well.

One thing he did say that made me think of BPD in a diffrent light was some of the statistics relating to BPD. For instance the mortality rate (sucessful suicide) is up around the 10-15% mark. Now this might not sound like much but when you compare it to breast cancer with a mortality rate of around 2% you realize it is a pretty high number. Now if only they would spend the same time and money on research in to treatment for it as they do for breast cancer.

How Many People Have Borderline Personality Disorder? (emaxhealth)

It is estimated to affect two to three percent of the general population, ten percent of patients seen in outpatient clinics and as many as twenty percent of hospitalized psychiatric patients. The depression which accompanies this disorder can cause much suffering and can lead to serious suicide attempts. There is a ten percent mortality rate in people with this disorder (i.e., suicide). BPD worsens the outcome and complicates the treatment of any other disorder such as Major Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Eating Disorders, and Substance Abuse Disorder. BPD is difficult to diagnose and is often misdiagnosed as Depression, Bipolar Disorder or Anti-social Personality Disorder. As a consequence, persons with BPD are difficult to treat and often frustrate clinicians.

(Kids are fighting again.... blah blah blah.... bitch, bitch, bitch and one is in the bathroom and they are yelling through the door at each other)

No comments:

Cold Steel

I want to feel the cold steel slice through my flesh or maybe breaking bones is the way to go